Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pocketfull of notes (and dust)

When are city officials and gay community leaders going to get their act together and put an end of the rowdy Halloween celebrations in the Castro? Some act as if the world would come to an end if these annual events were terminated. Well, it is not but the big problem now, after so many years of them, is how to prevent outsiders from even going there even if there is no event. Somehow I think security could even be more of a nightmare under such circumstances. Oh well, just raise the drawbridges and enact Martial Law for the night. Oh, that is right, our bridges are not draw bridges. Oh well, an 8 PM curfew might work. HA! And as it turns out there were outsiders in the Castro this year in the form of some gangs from other parts of the city. How do you keep them out?

I haven't been to the Castro at Halloween in years and personally I don't like large crowds and barely tolerate the Gay Pride Celebrations at the end of June but at least the parade and Civic Center events are held in the daytime which leads me to wonder if part of the problem at Halloween is that it is at "nighttime". Why do people go bonkers after dark anyway? Well, it seems like some do but it is really the outsiders who are the problem. The teenagers and those in their early twenties, who are not gay, and who come just to drink and bash gay people. You would have to profile everyone who enters the area to stop them and that may not be possible. SO END IT ALL I SAY. Enough of these rowdy, dangerous events which results in injuries and property damage and much extra expense to various city departments.

I personally prefer small events in places where I know people. They are the fun events and we don't get the riff-raff of outsiders and other trouble makers in those places.

Now the other big problem of the day is the election coming up next week with its host of deceiving ballot propositions and less-than-truthful politicians. How does one vote without making things worse than they already are? Since it is corporate America that really runs things how can we expect arguments for and against various ballot measures to be truthful and helpful? My rule of thumb is this: Unless there is a compelling reason to vote for something, I will vote NO. 1A and 1B will get my yes vote but can't think of any others at the moment. Most ballot measures are so poorly written that they do more damage than good and then some get overturned by the courts or people don't like the results and re-introduce the same or similar measures year after year until they get the result that THEY desire. Another thing I do not do as sign petitions to put propositions on the ballot as I certainly do not have the time to read and analyze such propositions in my supermarket's parking lot.

Another problem facing us is John Kerry. Since he is not running for anything why is he spouting off on National TV especially in front of a live audience where there is no chance of squelching some words that he did not intend to utter. At this point he probably has only helped the Republicans but I hope voters have enough sense to overlook his gaffe.

One final note...a number of years ago when I first became aware of Rev. Al Sharpton, he had said or done something which irritated me but as I have become more familiar with him and his philosophy over the years I have no trouble referring to him as the "Reverend" All Sharpton whereas I cannot call Jerry Foulwell or Pat Robertson by such titles.

Gotta run now and get ready for a busy day...lunch with former co-workers, a haircut in mid-afternoon, and then a private happy hour ("cheap wine night") as a friend's place.

No comments: