Friday, May 14, 2010

Hopeless case?

I have visited Bangkok and other cities in Thailand many times during the past ten years or so and have enjoyed every minute of it. Now, unfortunately, I cannot return due to the increasing social and political instability. Most of that is due to one man who does not even live there any longer and that person is Thaksin Shinawatra, a former Prime Minister, who is one of the richest people from that country, and one of the most corrupt. Now he directs his minions from the safety of another country.

I have hope that the situation will improve but each morning when I get up and read the news and go on-line, it seems that it has only gotten worse overnight. I now have friends there, Thai citizens as well as ex-pats from the USA, and I worry about them although I am sure they will know how to stay out of harm's way but I will miss them.

This also leaves me without a vacation spot in the midst of winter here at home. It was so nice to go to a warm climate for a few weeks and to be with people I know but that seems to have come to an end.

So sad, so sad...

No comments: