Sunday, January 04, 2004

Bee-yoo-tee-full day

After considerable rain during the past two weeks, yesterday and today have been gorgeous if a tad chilly but then, hey, it's January, not July. This gave me a chance to take one of my favorite urban walks. That is, from Pacific Bell Park along the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building. Sometimes I continue north to the Fisherman's Wharf area but today I stopped in the Ferry Building to explore the many new stores which have opened there in recent months. I also stopped at Peet's Coffee for a Caffe Mocha which tasted especially good following the walk in the cool air. While walking along the waterfront I shot some still scenes and some video. The video will be added to a project I am working on involving a collection of Municipal Railway scenes. I sure hope the weather is like this a week from now when I leave here for Thailand.

Looks like NASA succeeded with its latest mission to Mars. I can't wait to see the collection of photos they are receiving. I hope they are in color.

Yesterday I finally got around to seeing Mystic River. I agree with critic Jan Wahl that it is heavy and you need a good dose of comedy or other light material afterwards to pull your mood up. It is very well done but the story is a downer to say the least. The cast is excellent too.

This coming week, my first in retirement, will be a busy one with a visit to the Asian Art Museum, a retirement dinner party, the innauguration of Gavin Newsom as mayor, and La Boheme at the Opera House on Saturday night plus miscellaneous other appointments. Also, I must start my final preparations for my journey to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I hope I can take my small suitcase this time. I always over pack but perhaps this time I will get it right.

Because of these activities it would be nice for the weather to remain as it is today.

No comments: