Saturday, December 23, 2006

EARTHQUAKE WARNING?

OK, I know we have a lot of small earthquakes in this state however when two within three days occur on the Hayward fault, the one overdue for a very destructive quake, it might be time to worry and get prepared if we are not already prepared for "the big one". Is it coincidence that these two quakes both occurred in the same location on the Hayward fault and were of the same magnitude? Did they relieve pressure on the Hayward fault or did they just make it possible for more movement to occur soon and movement which might result in a quake stronger than 3.2? While I am used to small quakes in this region I found it difficult to get to sleep last night thinking that the big one could be right around the corner. In fact, I will be checking my earthquake survival kit this weekend. Actually, I don't have one so I need to get some things together very soon.

Here is some more information from the USGS regarding earthquakes in California during the past week. Please note the two at the top of the list in Berkeley.

UPDATE: Now there was a third quake at 9:21 AM today in the same location with a magnitude of 3.5 and then a micro-quake in the same area at 2:23 PM with a magnitude of 1.6.

No comments: