Friday, February 27, 2009

Newspaper reading

I certainly take issue with one letter to the editor in this morning's Chronicle which reads as follows:
------------------
I am more than sad at the prospect of losing The Chronicle. Reading the paper each morning is much more than reading the paper. I bring my wife coffee and The Chron in bed each morning. We excitedly point out to each other articles to read. What guy doesn't take the sports section to the john with him? Try all or any of that with a laptop. Well, who the hell wants to stay in the john long enough to read a newspaper? That's ridiculous to say the least. We subscribe to three newspapers and read them all every day. I am dismayed by the number of young people who think they are seeing the news on the Jon Stewart show. Hang in there, Chron staffers; we are with you.
-------------------
As for reading the newspaper on-line, that is now my choice as there are no wrinkles, no tears, no ink to come off onto my hands and if delivered at home, no worry about a soggy newspaper when it rains. A friend of mine who does subscribe was probably amazed to see me reading the news on the computer even though I had brought his copy of the newspaper indoors for him. Also, while on the computer I can reader most any newspaper from around the world. Why limited myself to just the hometown paper?
-------------------
I too, however, am sad at losing any newspaper no matter what format it takes. It is one of the signs of the times that so much content is either given away or stolen and the San Francisco Chronicle is not the only publication in trouble.

Craigslist should not allow free want ads. Monster.com and CareerBuilders.com should charge for using their websites. They, too, are part of the problem as they drain away content and money from brick and mortar businesses already hard hit by the recession.

I guess one could say we are in a difficult period of transition and some businesses will go under for failure to adopt a new business model.

No comments: