Wednesday, July 09, 2003

What is wrong with this world?

The past few days as I walk around the city to and from work or on errands I have witnessed a number of drivers who can't be bothered with slowing down to city speed limits or slowing down or even stopping at corners to let pedestrians pass or who honk at drivers who are courteous and law-abiding. Is there something in the air? No, it must be in their minds but why are they so hell-bent on getting nowhere so fast? The younger generation, especially those who seem to drive black sports cars with heavily tinted windows, or large pickups of similar descriptions (and that includes noisy tail pipes), who are the most rude and impatient and when they do get past an obstruction they seem to put the "pedal to the metal" and roar off into the distance where we can only hope they have not hit someone or something in their flight to nowhere. They are obviously uptight and angry but why can't they relax and slow down and give an inch or two to their fellow citizens? Perhaps their mentality is exemplified by the snot-nosed kid I heard complain on the 11 PM news one night that he could not get into the sold-out sneak preview of some hot new movie. He complained that he was being cheated out of seeing it. Good grief, what was wrong with going the next day at a more reasonable hour anyway? Why must it always be me-me-me-now-now-now? When I sometimes get to feeling that I wish I were younger I am reminded of these incidents and then realize that I am glad that I am the age that I am and won't have to live through the even worse times ahead. The even scarier part is that some people will justify it by saying, "Oh we have always had wars, or this or that, and it will pass." Unfortunately they don't have the life experience of knowing that it wasn't always this way. There were kinder, gentler times when you did not always have to be looking over your shoulder or around the corner before you approached it. I do not know where this will all end but hopefully I will not be around when it does.

Well, enough of this rant for now.

No comments: