Thursday, December 30, 2004

This has been a depressing week. Everytime I wake up in the morning I find that the death toll figures from southern Asian has increased ten or twenty thousand from the previous evening. When will this come to an end? Oh so many questions! Will they be able to get relief supplies in quick enough to help? Will they be able to control possible outbreaks of deadly diseases? Will they be able to account for everyone (probably not on this one)? The world has not seen anything like this in the modern era. I suppose the "black death" in Europe during the middle ages comes closest in so far as death and injury goes.

I feel so helpless here. I have made two donations so far (Red Cross and Mercy Corps) and would like to do more. Perhaps when I get to Bangkok next week I will have a better idea of what I do to help.

No comments: