Sunday, July 10, 2005

PEDESTRIANS BEWARE

When walking past 1280 Pine Street in San Francisco you may want to carry something to cover your head or your eyes or all parts of your person as the "Bird Lady of Pine Street", who lives in that building, continues to feet the "rats with wings" with large doses of bread crumbs each day. She can be seen rolling a small suitcase along the side walk from which she extracts bags of bread crumbs which she then dumps in the curb lane of Pine Stret and other streets in the vicinity. Now that part of the street from the apartment building at 1280 to the corner of Hyde Street is filthy with pigeon droppings and at certain times of the day resembles the school yard scene in Hitchcock's movie The Birds" but in this case it is pigeons and not crows which are perched on every available space. One day as I walked through the area the bird lady apparently was coming out of her building which was then behind me at the point and dozens of pigeons came swarming by me with several nearly colliding with me. It is dangerous there and unhealthy with all the bird poop on the sidewalk. Can't something be done about this person? I am sure that is against the law to feed the pigeons and considering the mess she and them are making, there must be one or more violations of the city's Health Code. Anyone...please...if you have any ideas on how to handle this...please speak up. Thank you.

Moving on to other problems, it is one of aging. Ha! Don't do it, that is, get old. Seriously though, I must change some habits and it will apparently become easier for me to do now as I pull away from Saturday nights out late which has so dominated much of my life since moving to San Francisco. I realize too however, that in addition to an age thing, it is one of personality and I am too shy (yes, I said it) to be out in a group of younger people with whom I have little in common. Oh, I enjoy the music sometimes and if I meet friends at the club, that is one thing, but to go there alone, it is a waste of time, money, and energy. I want to support Gary but now will have to limit myself to Happy Hours with my favorite bartenders and occasionally a Karaoke night just to warble a few old tunes.

Back in London, I am wondering how everyone is coping with the tragedy which has befallen them this week. I wonder too, how they are going to deal with the terrorists. To do little and surrender as Spain did is probably not the right answer but to do too much is to invite more problems. If I know the British however, I think they will walk the fine line of sanity in this situation. At least I hope so.

No comments: