Thursday, October 19, 2006

Winding down

After nearly two weeks in the Paris region my vacation is winding down. Friday, the 20th, will be my last day here. It has been a great time but I am tired, tired of walking that is and my back is aching at times. I will need another vacation when I get home. Ha! Anyway, day trips via train to Rouen, Dijon, Chartres, and Versailles added to the activities. Almost booked a day trip to London via Eurostar today when I was in Gare du Nord but I disovered that the weekday RT fare is considerably higher than the weekend. Darn, why didn't I investigate that last weekend? It is about a two hour journey each direction so by leaving on the first train of the morning from Paris, I could have had a full day in Central London. Oh well, the next time I will know if I should ever return this way.

The opera at the Bastille on Wednesday was excellent. Catherine Nagelstad sang a superb Salome in one of the most thrilling operatic performances I have ever heard.

Also heard a very nice organ recital at Eglise de Madeleine on Sunday and a very nice program of Mozart's music at Notre Dame on Tuesday evening. Then this morning I encountered a bonus of sorts. I happened to wander into St. Germain des Prix church and found someone practicing on that organ so I got to hear that organ for the first time.

Well, that will about do it form here. I will have a ton of photos to sort through when I get home and hope to be able to post some to my other website at www.irving2004.net. I have taken so many that I even had to buy a fourth memory card today to keep myself going.

No comments: