Tuesday, May 11, 2004

This is one of the most nervous days of the year for me. Actually, this occurs anytime I am getting ready to go on a journey somewhere. The details of trying to decide what to take with me are always difficult. They shouldn't be however. I am going to a major city (Bangkok) where I can obtain anything that I might have forgotten at home, and if my clothes get dirty, I can use the laundry service at the hotel, so why do I get nervous and worry about not taking enough? Ha! I usually take too much. The most important things are my passport and the airline tickets plus a few phone numbers as well as some other important papers. I just need to pack and forget it but I know that I will be packing and rearranging the suitcase all day. Even now my stomach growls in nervous anticipation.

At least the weather seems to be cooling somewhat although I doubt that my body could tell the difference between 98 and 92 degrees Fahrenheit especially with the same high humidity. Thunderstorms continue on a daily basis so I am taking my umbrella although I don't like the idea of holding onto a lightning rod during en electrical storm.

This time I will be going through Taipei which makes the second leg of the journey a bit shorter than the Tokyo to Bangkok run. The Taipei airport, however, is less interesting than the one in Narita/Tokyo. In fact, the gate area is a sterile concrete box with nothing but chairs and the counter for airline employees. There are one or two vending machines which is OK if you have coins of the Taiwanese New Dollar variety.
Last time coming through Narita, on the other hand, I found a small restaurant that accepted U.S. Dollars in addition to Yen. That was great.

I doubt that I will have time to post anything on these pages during the next two weeks, but who knows. I may or may not as circumstances and/or my mood dictate.

No comments: