Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New Job - Old Location

Some would say this is weird but after two years of retirement I have gone back to work albeit temporarily. This is a (tax) busy season temporary assignment at my old employer and right back in the Oakland office where I began it all in August 1982. There are a few familiar faces there but the trust tax department is not one that I had much contact with while with the firm. They were always "somewhere else" in another office and we had little contact with their operations. Now I find myself in the middle of it with a scanning project that is very routine but which will provide extra income to help me over a few financial road bumps. On the first day back there was some strong feelings of deja vu. It really seemed so unreal but surprisingly some of the people at the cafe downstairs remembered me as well as the women in the gift shop/newsstand next to it.

The job goes well but it sure reminds me why I really like retirement. I can get up in the morning without too much difficulty but leaving the apartment is another matter. I had gotten used to taking a couple of hours to wake up (mentally), get organized and then go out to do various chores or errands or just enjoy the day somewhere. Now, once again, I have to cram all of that into the 48 hours of the weekend. Well, this assignment will only last through the end of May I think and then it will be adios once again.

On other matters, why do I find Maury Pauvich so irritating? Am I the only one who feels that way? Why does KPIX (5) have to air this idiot's program? Another irritant is young women who have very nasily sounding voices some of whom almost sound like those of six year old kids. Well, not quite, but they sure don't sound like adults. Are there any courses for speech impediments which is what I call this manner of speaking?

Seems to me I had something else on my mind but whatever it was has taken flight for now.

No comments: