Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Life moves on...

After working nearly two months on a temporary assignment (contract work for my former employer through an employment agency), the job is about to come to an end. This Friday will be my last day. They have asked to me stay on or even consider further part time work later in the year. This I am not ready to do at this time. Technically I can clear my calendar enough so that two days per week would be possible but then after I told them that I could do that I was also asked to return in January for the next tax season on a full time basis through April 15th. That did it! I said NO at that point so further part time work will not happen anytime soon. It is nice to be wanted I guess and I am glad that they have enough confidence in me to ask me to stay on but I am retired and desirous of returning to those things I like to do. My weekly schedule in retirement is a full once and these past two months have been difficult as everything at home has suffered. I just hope the weather improves by the time the weekend and/or Monday rolls around. The past few days have been less than desirable here in the city.

Now will there be another period of readjustment? This past weekend, which I had off after working two consecutive weeks without a day off, was a lost weekend as I had not planned on it so I did not know what to do with myself. Well, I am already making plans for Saturday. I have to return to the gym. Have only been there once or twice since taking on this assigment and I have gained three pounds in the process of not doing that plus eating some of the wrong foods in too great a quantity.

The opera season is now complete but the final three productions of the season were three of the best all year. They were Madama Butterfly, Maid of Orleans (Joan of Arc), and Marriage of Figaro. All three had very good casts. And now my final symphony of the current season comes up Friday which will feature Verdi's Requiem which I have not heard live in a number of years. There will be some other events before September however. The "Three Divas" concert will be on the 22nd of June and the Merola Grand Finale concert will be on the 19th of August. Somewhere in there I have also scheduled a Giants game. My only one so far for the current season.

Ah, 'tis ten o'clock and nearly time to retire for the night. Just hope the person upstairs doesn't decide to throw another late night party. Last night was too much with loud music which lasted nearly to midnight. Grrr...

No comments: