Friday, September 08, 2006

OK, I am still here but not sure why or where or whatever. I've been preparing for a vacation journey to Paris as well as other locales and I have been doing a lot of reading. Also, a friend in Vallejo had rotator cuff surgery recently so I have been commuting up there to help him get to the doctor's office and with shopping, etc. The one thing I have learned from this is how restfull and easy it is to take the Baylink Ferry from the Ferry Building in San Francisco to the ferry terminal in Vallejo. Then my friend's house is an easy commuute on a Vallejo Transit bus from there. That ride is about a ten minute ride. The ride on the ferry is approximately 55 minutes in duration so I get more reading done there as long as there are not a log of rug rats around. I ran into that situation last Saturday when the lower deck of the Bay Bridge was closed and the ferries were running at capacity. I was the last one on the 10 AM ferry from Vallejo. I should have waited for the 10:20 AM ferry which would have been less crowded and probably would have had less kids as it was not going on to Fisherman's Wharf.

My reading recently has been mostly non-fiction. At the moment I am into the last few pages of Dark Ages America by Morris Berman. Next up will be American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips. Politics in America has really been frustrating in recent years and these books only confirm my worst nightmares. I can only say that I am glad that I not 20 something now. The future is bleak indeed.

No comments: