Sunday, September 28, 2003

TURN OFF THE DAMNED CELL PHONE

Honestly folks, what is so difficult about the concept of turning off one's cell phone when in a theatre or concert hall?
Here I was at Davies Symphony Hall Friday night enjoying a wonderful performance of Mahler's Symphony No. 4 which was being recorded this week for release on CD, when in the middle of the third movement someone's cell phone starts ringing. After three or four rings Michael Tilson Thomas slammed down his baton and turned and stared out into the audience looking for the vile miscreant. Personally I hope that the person was ejected and banned for life or that he or she will need to be stripped searched prior to ever re-entering the hall again. If a person is in the medical profession they have the option of putting the device on silent/vibrate if they desperately need to be notified of something. Is that so damn difficult???? Fortunately, for me and the other rude people about, guilty parties in such incidents have not been sitting next to me. Had they been in an adjoining seat I might have felt compelled to give them a swift swat with the program and that is just for starters.

As for the concert, MTT and the orchestra backed up several pages to resume and try to re-set the mood but for some reason the level of playing did not quite match what had preceeded the interruption. Maybe they should do as in Japan and block all cell phone signals inside the hall.

Today was the annual Folsom Street Fair but I was feeling lazy, tired, whatever, so I did not go even when a friend called to suggest it. I fear I was somewhat abrupt with Gary and I must apologize for my answer. Next Sunday is the Castro Street Fair and I am not sure if I will even make it to that. Sunday is just too far away at the moment.

Recently I applied for an absentee ballot for th recall election as I will be in Rome that day but so far I have not received it. If it does not arrive in time can I sue the city or the state for being disenfranchized?

By the way, for one of the better blog sites around may I recommend Swimfinssf.

Later folks...

No comments: