Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Customer Relations

Why are some people even in business of serving the public? Why is it that I can walk into a store I have never been in and be greeted by a worker and/or owner in a friendly manner whereas in another store I am treated to minimal service? That is, I am sold whatever I am buying with a minimum of talk. No hellos, no thank yous, no good-byes. Just some sort of grunt from the person behind the counter. That is certainly what I experienced a short time ago at a convenience store on the lobby level of Embarcadero Center #4. I just went in to buy a lottery ticket and a candy bar and the woman made it seem like I was disturbing her. I would not have gone in there however my usual choice (Eastern Newsstand) in EC #3 is waiting for delivery of a new lotto machine so I could not buy a ticket there.

While I am on the subject, the really offensive greeting is the one "Is there something you want" uttered in a disdainful voice. Yes, you shit head, I want to buy (whatever it is I am holding). These type of people clearly need professional help for their attitudes if they intend to stay in retail sales.

No comments: