Sunday, October 26, 2003

Sunny & Hot in San Francisco

Herb Caen always used to remark about how the tourists would freeze in short at Fishmerman's Wharf in July but then after Labor Day when many returned home it would warm up for the local people. Well, such as has been the case during much of September and October which are traditionally the best months of the year here. Today is it is 72F in the shade on my patio deck and probably at least 80 in the sun.

Last night's opera, while well sung, used a new modern production from Germany again in which a very ordinary house looked like something from 1950 to some, or from the 1930s to others. It was certainly not what Rossini had in mind when he wrote the The Barber of Seville especially the Vespa motor scooter used to transport the Barber into town. The heat in the opera house did not help matters either. I will never forgive them for not installing air conditioniing when they had a chance a few years ago. They continually used the lame excuse that the couldn't do it but would never explain why. I could live with "we don't have the funds" but to make a statement such as we can't do it, is beyond belief. Most theaters of any size, including many of the remaining movie palaces in this city have AC. Why not the opera house?????????

Had brunch with Donn at The Village Cafe this morning. It was the first opportunity I had to talk with him since returning from Italy. After that I stopped at Cala foods to pick up some necessities for the next few days. Now my laundry is in the dryer in the apartment's laundry downstairs and I have the fan running in the living room which is the only way I can get any air circulation in the apartment.

Next on the agenda? Sort through, re-size, and add more photos from Italy to my website. I think this would be a good time to do that so I will sign off for now.

Ciao!

No comments: