Sunday, January 16, 2005

10:55 AM Monday
17-Jan-2005
Bangkok, Thailand

Here it is my final full day in Bangkok. It has been fun this past ten days or so and I will once again have many memories and a number of photos, some to share, some to not. Once I get those sorted out at home I will post some on my regular photo website.

I took three tours while here in Bangkok which were to
Khao Yai National Park, Safari World and to Ancient City/Muang Boran. I will post some of my own photos (not as nice I am sure) from these locations once I get home. Actually, most of them might be of me and my friends.

So here I sit now at Mr. Bean once again, resting from a walk. This time I went through portions of Lumpini Park and discovered that the new subway station (Lumpini) is NOT the best way to get to the park. The station has three exits, two on the south side of Rama IV and one on the north side but unfortunately it is on the east side of what I believe is called Wireless Road which is just as busy and congested at Rama IV and it has no pedestrian overpass. So, unless wants to try to use the cross walk at Silom and Rama IV, I would suggest walking east on Rama IV until you reach the pedestrian overpass to the north side of the road. Or, you can take the Skytrain to Ratchadamri Station and walk back a couple of blocks to the park but be sure to exit the station on the east side of the street which is the same side as the park. I simply cannot fathom why, given the size of the stations and the station concourses, they did not include an exit directly into the park. They had two opportunities to do so, either from the Silom Station or from the Lumpini Station, but they failed to construct either. Given that Siemens was one of the major players in this venture, I am surprised by the lack of foresight in this matter. To add insult to injury, the Bang Sue subway station, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, is very big with a huge concourse level. Surely it can't be more important than Silom or Lumpini Stations?

So this will wrap things up from Bangkok. I have enjoyed my visits with Wit, Eddy, Pin, and Anant, as well as the fine staff at the Tarntawan Place Hotel and the many other business establishments here in downtown Bangkok and I will miss them and this city very much after I leave.

By the way, if any of the links to the three URLs above do not work, please use the comments link on this posting to notify me so I can check and verify the URL in question. Thank you.

No comments: