Tuesday, March 15, 2005

This and That

There sure won't be any earth shattering news or an esoteric column here today. It is just one of those really nice days that makes you appreciate San Francisco weather from time to time. It is warm enough to go without a jacket without being overly warm and it is warm enough so it is tolerable in the shade without a jacket as well. It helps too, that there is no wind at the present time.

As I walk about this city however I sometimes feel that we have some of the worst drivers in the country. Perahps however, drivers in many big cities in this country are just as crazy but when I hear someone put the pedal to the metal I can't help but wonder when I am going to witness some horrendous crash especially at an intersection when someone runs a red light. I think that some taxi drivers are among the worst in this city although I have seen 20 somethings doing the same thing. Just what is their big hurry anyway? I really get nervous sometimes when crossing the street. Just last week, if I had not paid attention and moved rather quickly, I would have been hit by someone who did not know how to treat a four way stop in the financial district. He took off like a bat out of hell after the preceeding vehicle cleared the intersection even though, not being any other vehicles around, I, as a pedestrian, the right of way at that point. Well, I gave the offender a four fingered salute. No, not the one finger salute four times, but trying to indicate through his closed window that that was a four way stop. Needless to say, that left me steaming for a considerable time after that. Fortunately I survived the rest of my journeys on foot that day.

So today's weather is delightful and it raises ones mood or spirit quite well. Even attempting to help what appeared to be a confused young tourist had me feeling good. As it turned out, he knew where he wanted to go and how to get there but since I was headed in the same general direction, we had a nice little chat for a short distance. Turns out he is a student from Japan on holiday during spring break with this being his first time in the city. (Guess I should have warned him about the way some people drive here.)

So that is it from "America's Favorite City" for now.

No comments: