Saturday, September 10, 2005

Electrical Problem?

There was a strange incident this morning in this little studio apartment. One circuit went out long enough so that my coffee maker and the microwave lost track of the time. No, no circuit breaker was tripped but the power was off long enough to cause that loss of memory on those two items. Let me explain. There is only one wall outlet in my tiny kitchen. It is next to the counter and I have a microwave oven there plugged directly into one of the two outlets. Since I also have a toaster and a coffee maker sitting on top of the microwave, I have a heavy duty multiple outlet strip to which the coffee maker and the toaster are plugged into. Sometime after I finished with my coffee and turned that appliance off, everything lost power. I had poured my final cup of coffee, turned the coffee maker off, and had returned to my computer to continue reading the news and various e-mail messages. Upon returning to the kitchen I found the two appliances blinking at me. Now there were no power failures in the building or neighborhood and the lights did not blink anywhere in the apartment nor did I hear any stranges noises. So why did the power fail temporarily on that one circuit only. It is on now but I wonder for how long. If any electricians happen to read this and you have any ideas as to what the cause of that might be, please let me know by clicking on the comments button below. Thank you.
---------------
A short time later...

I think I found the source of the problem as I went to the grocery store. There were three PG&E generators on my street, one block apart, feeding the main lines underground as they worked on something beneath streets. I can only assume that in cutting those in, the whole system hiccupped which resulted in my partial and instantaneous power failure. I also notice that the courtyard waterfall has failed and is now silent.

No comments: