Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor/Labour Day

It seems rather quiet around the apartment complex today however an odd thing happened a short time ago. When the tennant upstairs had a plumbing problem in the bathroom, the water leaked into mine (briefly) through a light fixture in the hallway. How odd! It was actually coming down the light fixture but was being contained by the globe that covers the light bulbs. It was if I suddenly had acquired an aquarium hanging from the cieling, sans fish.

Well, there is good news out of Washington this week. Bush has nominated John Roberts to fill the post of Chief Justice. While Roberts may not be the best possible choice for the court, the fact that he could be approved for the top spot sidetracks a possible Antonin Scalia appointment to that post and for that I and I am sure many others, will be grateful. (Greatful?) Hmm...neither word looks right there but in checking my dictionary, grateful is correct. Oh, some days I think I am forgetting everything I ever learned in school. Is this a sign of old age?

The Giants, while not necessarily in the running for winning the NL-West or even being in the Wild Card race, could make an interesting run for something this month as they are now in second place for the first time since last spring. Also, they have seven games against the Dodgers, seven against the Padres, and three more against the Diamondbacks. It could be a very interesting month indeed.

I got caught in a terrible traffic jam yesterday afternoon in the vicinity of the Ferry Building. I had forgotten about the San Francisco Grand Prix. In fact, I did not even know the route nor the start times. Anyway, I went to Sur la Table in the hopes of finding something I could not locate at Bed, Bath & Beyond (I didn't) and had a difficult time walking to and from the building and then my # 1 bus seem to be nowhere in sight when I was ready to go home, so I walked home. Of course, had it shown up, it would have been stuck in a traffic jam anyway so walking was the easiest and fastest method of transport at that time.

Will be off to Reno tomorrow via Amtrak. This will be the first time going by train and since I am a train buff or whatever, that will be new to me as I have never taken the train any further east than Sacramento. Actually, since the Zephyr is a long distance train and you must make reservations in advance, I was surprised that they actually had tickets remaining at this late date. That is one week prior to departure. This journey will be a quick one. The train ride is the main indgredient in this little excursion. As for my one night in Reno, that should be sufficient time in which to get hopelessly bored. For example, twenty minutes at a slot machine is enough to drive me up the wall. Keno is too much like the state lotto which I never win and I know little to nothing about the table games.

No comments: