Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday Blues?

Not sure what is going on here but I was sure dragging all morning. Really felt in a funk but getting out of the apartment and to the gym helped out and things seem to be returning to normal.

The MLB season winds down now with most everything in place except possibly the AL-West where the A's and Angels continue to battle it out for first place. The AL Wild Card slot is still up for grabs with Cleveland (?) leading that race. How did they get there? The method of computing these wild card teams still puzzles me. Anyway, the Giants are most likely finished for this season but someone once said "never say never". I wonder who that was?

The first opera of the 05/06 season for me was seen this past Saturday evening. It was Handel's Rodelinda. Handel can be tedious despite the lovely melodies along the way but our cast eased the burden of that 3-1/2 hour baroque work especially soprano Catherine Naglestad (Rodelinda) and counter-tenors David Daniels (Bertarido) and Gerald Thompson, an Adler Fellow (Unulfo). It always amazes me to hear a man sing in that range and then to toss off coloratura in such an effortless sounding manner. This was a modern production in which they had room to inject some humor which I am sure Handel did not intend. Perhaps that was the reason for the minor earthquake over the weekend. Ha! I wonder if incoming General Director Gockley will be so enamored with these Euro-trash productions? I hope not. Since Saturday night was opening night for that production I am anxious to compare notes with Joshua Kosman but for some reason his review was not in the Chronicle this morning. I have been assured by Datebook staff however that it will appear Tuesday morning. I probably won't agree with him anyway but that is neither here nor there. Then there is also the San Francisco Classical Voice Newsletter website which should have a review as well. They publish every Tuesday.

The new TV season has arrived. I don't watch too much on the boob tube however I got interested in all three CSI programs last season and will watch them again this year. My favorite of the three is the NY version. I miss NYPD Blue but there are some re-runs of that show on the Court TV channel.

No comments: