Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Where are we headed?


I wish we were headed for nice clear and warm weather as was in evidence when this photo of Coit Tower was taken. Our weather seems to be very uncertain of itself sometimes lately. Yesterday it was sunny and warm whereas today it was very foggy and chilly during the morning and then partly sunny and somewhat windy in the afternoon.

Anyway, where are we headed. Natural catastrophes seem to be on the increase recently so some people are wondering if there is a message in all this. Who knows...only time will tell. I have read some strange things on the Internet about the so-called "end of days" and the "bible codes". If they are to be believed then 2006 might be the beginning of the end of life as we have known it for all our lives.

There is the looming threat of Avian flu as well and this could bring death to millions of people around the world. There appears to be no way to prepare for it as scientists are not sure what the makeup of the virus will be when it spreads so there is no way to prepare a vaccine for it.

To add to the mix of events, there are now three volcanoes in Alaska which are showing signs of life.

Down in Guatamala they have experienced some serious flooding which makes me wonder if the floods have effected the Survivor-Guatamala cast and crew any or was it taped far enough in advance so that they were able to get out of the area before disaster struck?

Now the people in Afghanistan and Pakistan are having to deal with a huge earthquake that apparently has killed over 30,000 people. Could that happen here? Well, we certainly could have a major quake here in the San Francisco region but while loss of life would not be quite as high, the damage to the infrastructure would bring the whole region to a grinding halt resulting in catastrophic economic disruption. It would probably take years for the economy to recover.

It is depressing to think of the future these days. Even my White Zinfandel is not helping tonight. Ha!

Oh well, I feel good after my workouts at the gym. Those get my blood to pumping and I feel very refreshed and invigorated afterwards. Also, I changed gyms this week, cancelling membership at 24 Hour Fitness for a less costly membership at Gold's Gym (9th & Brannan). The facility is nicer too and the people are very friendly there. Although a trainer once told me that I should get a days rest between workouts, I sometimes feel like I should go in everyday. I guess it would not hurt to add other days at least for using the treadmill and burning some extra calories and then relaxing in the steam room afterwards.

I hope I can get a good nights sleep tonight. I have been bothered by dreams waking me up early in the morning and once I am awake it is very difficult to get back to sleep. I have had too many of these nights recently and I am wondering how I can overcome this.

Well, I guess I am headed for a few snoozes now as I am ready to turn in and call it a day, or night, of whatever.

No comments: