Tuesday, May 22, 2007

One of my favorite cities in California has always been San Diego and after visiting there this past weekend that feeling was reinforced with a performance of the San Diego Symphony at the Copley Symphony Hall in the former Fox Theater now housed inside a modern high rise office building and hotel. The orchestra is wonderful and the acoustics of the theater are very good. Also, while there, my friends and I visited the Hillcrest area of the city as well as Balboa Park where one of the museums has an outstanding model railroad display covering a number of rooms and utilizing a number of gauges and is still being expanded. Transportation in that city is excellent with several trolley lines plus the Coaster trains running from Santa Barbara to the Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego and the Amtrak trains running from Union Station in L.A. to San Diego. All of these pass through the "Old Town" transit center where a number of bus lines also provide transfer connections. It is a very busy terminal and makes San Diego one of the best transit oriented cities in the United States.

Years ago I had decided that if I ever moved out of San Francisco that San Diego would be high on my very short list of possible relocation cities and this past weekend's visit did nothing to change my mind in that regard.

No comments: