Friday, May 25, 2007

Why can't people use dollar coins as cash in this country? I managed to get one from a SF Muni change machine so now I know what it looks like but I dare not spend it because I may never get another one. Then yesterday I received a brochure from an outfit called PRESIDENTIAL COIN COLLECTION in Norwalk, Connecticut, trying to sell me a priority reservation card for the entire collection. Since these coins, as the older dollar coins, are legal coins, why just hoard them? Why not use them as the U.S. Mint intended? Why should the U.S. Government get involved in a coin collection business when it is minting coins of several denominations to be used. Come on folks, the dollar coin is a good alternative to the ratty old dirty dollar bills we have to contend with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that the original Sacagawea dollar coins could only be purchased in rolls of 200 from the banks, so, of course, few people bought them.
I have since seen various metro transportation systems issue them as change on tickets, so they are now more in circulation, unless people hoard them.
Better efforts at distribution seem to be the key, but who knows.

Irving said...

Yeah, just for the heck of it I will put a dollar bill into a SF Muni change machine to see which version of the dollar coins I get. And what about fifty cent pieces? I was very surprised a year or two ago to receive one of those in change at a store. I hadn't seen that coin in years.