Monday, November 24, 2003

Marriage vs. Civil Unions

Question: Do gay people really want to get married and have to endure all the legal hassles of a marriage gone sour? Also, whose to say that gay marriages will be any more successful than straight ones?

From my observations and experiences of many years, I find that gay unions of any sort are, for the most part, rather fleeting. Those that lasted (that I am familiar with) were open relationships, one of which ended in one of the partner's death shortly after he picked up two strangers and took them home with him.

I am against the religious bigots trying to block same sex marriages however I really question whether or not it would be a good thing for gay people to marry. For those truly loving and committed individuals who enter into such an arrangement it is great but since so many relationships start when the partners are very young and not ready mentally or emotionally for such a comitted union, the end results may be similar to what the heterosexual world suffers.

I personally prefer the word union but be it a union or marriage, let's keep the goverment and bigots out of our lives!

No comments: