Friday, April 02, 2004

Depressing World


There once was a time that I was a news junkie. I was interested in hearing about world, national, and local events but that is not so anymore. The world situation has become too violent and unstable. The national situation has become one filled with liers in all areas of government and it seems to be impossible to trust anyone anymore. The local situation is one in which few people can either take NO for an answer (i.e. repeated elections to overturn a previous decision of the voters) or who cannot accept differences of opinion. You see it everyday in the Letters to the Editor as the extreme right attacks the extreme left, or vice versa, instead of debating the issues and putting forth positive statements about how to deal with a situation from their respective positions. There does not seem to be any common middle ground to the characters who populate the San Francisco Bay Area any longer. It is either the fascists on the left or the fascists on the right who get headlines and make a lot of noise. What is this world coming to? Where is it going? The ship of state is rudderless. How much longer before everything on this planet completely falls apart?

But then when I get discouraged I remind myself that I have some wonderful friends, some of whom I have never met, at least not yet. Some are only correspondents in far off lands for the present but who knows, that could change, and the warmth and love that manages to come through with a person's e-mail, might someday become something very real and substantial. That gives me hope for the future. I just hope that the politicians of this world don't mess it all up.

Anyway, here it is Friday again which is a day many people look forward to. For me, one day is now the same as any other but I try to do my best during each one that I am given.

This Sunday is Palm Sunday. It is also the change to Daylight Savings Time so don't forget to "spring forward" one hour before retiring Saturday night.

No comments: