Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Don't laugh too loudly


I have heard of loud snoring that has caused problems but never laughter as in this case from Berlin.

----------

"A German took his female neighbor to court for laughing too loudly. But she had the last laugh -- the judge threw out the case, saying Germany could not ban laughter, newspapers reported on Tuesday.
Unemployed Bernd F., 52, complained to magistrates that 47-year-old Barbara M. kept him awake with over four hours of loud laughter one evening as she enjoyed a meal with eight friends in her Berlin apartment above his, Bild daily said.

The judge dismissed the complaint of disturbing the peace, saying the woman had not broken any noise restrictions. "Laughter is a general sound of life. It will not be banned," he said. "

----------

Record temperatures for April here with 91F in SF yesterday. That is not a city record however. The hotest I have experienced here was one Sunday afternoon in August in the mid-eighties while sitting in the sun at Stern Grove for three hours at a concert. I knew it was hot but had no idea (thank god) until I returned to the car to learn that the official high for that day was 103F. Yikes!!!!!!

Our miserable Giants are now in the cellar. I don't think things will get any better, or if the team suddenly perks up, it will be too late. They need to spend some money for good players but they have been cutting the budget lately so I doubt that will happen. Maybe after Bonds retires they will be able to afford more and better players. This reminds we of when I was a kid in Boston and about the only player of worth on the Red Sox was Ted Williams. Well, one very good player does not a baseball team make.

The Bush/Blair team is the most stubborn two I have ever seen. At least here we have a presidential election scheduled this November although there is a significant portion of the population who believes Bush or feels that he is the better of the two (vs. Kerry) in a crisis. This is scary!

All quiet here in the City by the Bay. Same sex marriages are on hold pending a review of the situation by the State Supreme Court so there are no long lines at City Hall or protests by right wing fundamentalists although there was a march by a conglomeration of conservative church groups out somewhere in the avenues last weekend. Marching in those neighborhoods was like preaching to the choir.

Some of my friends are going to hate me (again) as I terminate my post office box at the end of May and revert back to my street address for snail-mail. I started renting the box a few years ago when this neighborhood became the victim of somebody breaking into mailboxes. Ours weren't that good in the first place and by the time he was finished with them, several were unusable. Fortunately they caught him so that ended that. In the meantime I started renting the post office box at a substation near my office. That was convenient while I was still working but now that I have retired, I don't always enjoy taking the time to go down to the financial district just for mail. Also, this building has installed new mailboxes inside the security gate so we are in good shape here now for mail deliveries. So this will be a way to cut my budget a little and have the mail delivered here once again.

Not too much to write about (is there ever) so I will sign off for now. I need something wet and cold to drink also.





No comments: