Wednesday, August 11, 2004

It's amazing how rude people with video cameras can be. I realize that mom & pop shooting snap shots of the kids are not too savvy about how to use cameras but at least they don't get in your face with their still cameras. They might be oblivious of their surroundings and snap photos as people inadvertently walk through the scene but people with video cameras are dangerous as they continue to aim at anything and everything. Case in point: today as I walked down Grant Street towards Market Street some 25-something idiot with video camera glued to his eyes was walking down the middle of the sidewalk shooting all the store fronts. He didn't even stop as I entered the scene so as I got near and in direct line of sight simply said: "Having fun?", which did result in him taking his eyeball out of the view finder to look at me but then he continued on up the street doing the same thing. For all I know he could have been a terrorist "casin' the joint" as they say. Later in the day I saw someone in the middle of the Ferry Building plaza panning around the plaza, again at eye level, of everything in sight. What kind of home video is that? What do these people find so interesting about store fronts? But I digress...my main concern is a de facto invasion of privacy here. I do not want to be in their videos. If I were shooting such scenes they would be composed completely differently as would take into account pedestrian traffic in the area. These amateur videographers are a menace at the very least.

No comments: