Thursday, August 19, 2004

Where have all the people gone? Perhaps they never arrived? Well, the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics had a full stadium but there have been many, many empty seats since then. Are the ticket prices too high? Are the venues too big? Did everyone decide to go somewhere else after the opening night? What in the world is going on? Well, if people in Greece feel as I do, it is a big yawn. I can't even get interested in the few summer events that I like. Even the gymnastics have not been able to hold my attention as they usually do.

For me anyway, I think my attention is focused too much on the upcoming presidential election which could be the most critical one in the history of this country. San Francisco Opera Music Director Donald Runnicles, according to some reports, has indicated he will no longer work in this country if Bush wins re-election. I agree with his feelings on this matter but as a retired person of limited means my options are fewer however I would be tempted to seek a retirement Visa in Thailand. The economics of such a deal are the least of the problems given the lost cost of living there and what my retirement income is in U.S. dollars and how they translates to Thai Baht.

No comments: