Thursday, August 26, 2004

While it wasn't a dark and stormy night in SF, it was certainly turbulent in my mind as various nightmares in living color ruined my sleep and woke me up at 6:10 AM instead of the intended time of 7:00 AM. The dreams included everything from being in a highrise fire at work (although the building didn't look that modern) to ejecting two people from some unknown event for cutting in line only to have their older brothers come looking for me later. Yikes! My initial reaction to the line jumping was to pour coffee on the offenders. I wonder what that would have resulted in. Anyway, I mercifully awoke early and then wondered if I talked, mumbled, or shouted during my dreaming periods. (I know people who do that.) Now it is daytime and I have a lot to ponder including how I treat people so at least one of the dreams has some value even though there was blame enough to go around.

Well, here it is almost Friday (What do I care anyway? Each day is the same these days.) I guess I should treat the weekends as weekends in order to keep tract of what is going on. In retirement I find that one must look at the calendar more often, or, the time and date display at the bottom of the computer screen.

I see that the Rupublicans are still pushing for a constitutionial ban on same-sex marriage. No matter what one's personal views on the matter, the constitution should be left alone. It is the framework on which this country was built. Lesser important issues can be handled by enacting other laws, not by writing them into the constitution and same-sex marriage, which is really a civil issue to begin with, is one such matter. As Vice-President Dick Cheney has said this week, two people should be allowed to enter into any sort of relationship they want and the issue should be left to the various states and not be pre-empted by a change to the U.S. constitution. (Way to go Dick!) This is also the first time I have ever agreed with him on anything.

No comments: