Thursday, August 05, 2004

Why do I get the feeling that the Academy of Arts University (formerly College) is taking over? Everywhere you turn there is a campus. What shocked me a couple of years was when the old First Congregational Church at Post & Mason became another campus and one of the biggest at the time. Well, now they have outdone themselves by taking over the huge building at Van Ness and Jackson formerly occupied by Copenhagen Furniture. I was even startled to find the apartment building at 1088 Post Street as part of the system but in this case it is a dormitory. Interesting. I once looked at an apartment there about ten years ago before I found the one I am currently occupying. If you don't believe they have a sprawling series of campuses (campi? campii?), just pay attention to the black school buses shuttling students all over town. The day that their sign and logo appears on City Hall is the day I retire. Oh, wait a minute, I am retired. Well, that is the day I move to Timbuktu.

This newest revelation occurred today as I decided to take a hike (long walk?) from my Nob Hill apartment to the Marina Green via Van Ness, Aquatic Park, Fort Mason, St. Francis Yacht Club, and Scott Street with the walk ending on Chestnut Street for lunch at Johnny Rocket's for a good greasy burger and fries. I took the bus home after that and immediately collapsed for an hour's snooze.

By the way, this was not a good day for photos as can be seen (somewhere) in a few photos I took at Aquatic Park but which will never see the light of day.


No comments: